Sunday, January 27, 2013

Litany Imitation :)

As much as I would love to be able to write about my mom or a pet, I figure I've got to take my opportunities when they are given to me. With that being said, this is for my (incredibly recent) ex boyfriend, and I am sure he will appreciate this, not!


You are the stars and the song,
the movie night and the rain.
You are the waves on the shore
and the cozy blanket on the couch.
You are the tree on Christmas morning
and the hug after a long day.

However, you are not the smile on a face,
the pair of new shoes,
or the cup of morning coffee.
And you are certainly not the smell of an old book.
There is just no way you are the smell of an old book.

It is possible that you are the beer on the river,
maybe even a road trip home.
But you are not even close to being the oxygen in the air.

A quick look in the mirror will show
that you are neither bacon for breakfast
nor a Stevie Nicks concert.

It might interest you to know,
speaking of the plentiful imagery of the world,
that I am the strength of the sun in the sky.
I also happen to be the lake in the summer,
the banana bread fresh out of the oven,
and the lioness on the savannah.

I am also the Blink 182 song, and the summer of '69.
But don't worry, I'm not the stars and the song.
You are still the stars and the song.
You will always be the stars and the song.
Not to mention the movie night and somehow--the rain.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks! You know, even if you hadn't told us that this was about your ex-boyfriend, I think a reader would be able to sense that this person isn't on your good list. The preface also makes more powerful your assertions about yourself. Those assertions help a reader understand you are strong--a lioness! Finally I'd say my favorite line (mainly because I'm a book lover) is "there is no way you are the smell of an old book." I love that smell, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he's not bacon for breakfast or a Stevie Nicks concert, he's not worth your time! This is really good =) I also really liked the line, "There is just no way you are the smell of an old book."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Left him in the dust. I thoroughly enjoyed writing this poem. Thank you both, I like that line too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow :) this is pretty great. Good job :D
    I love how you made him out to be pretty great but then you were the strength of the sun in the sky and suddenly you were better than him and didn't need him anymore.
    I really enjoyed this lol

    ReplyDelete