Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Ode to my Laptop

I am completely unsure if I did this correctly, but here it goes.


“Ode to my Laptop”

One day my mother

Brought home my graduation gift.

It caught me by surprise

When I realized what it was.

 

The color of charcoal,

The kind that makes summer nights tasty,

And square and smooth

Like cool cement on a hot summer’s day.

Its keys tip-tapped away

With ease that made yoga seem tiresome.

 

A screen that opens the world up

Like a present on Christmas day,

It took me to any place I wanted to go

A personal vacation on the comfort of my couch.

 

It made old days seem new,

Assignments seem like fun.

It made notebooks seem silly,

And it made college seem like an attainable dream.

 

Since that day it has known as my right hand woman,

Definitely a woman due to her brilliance.

She is my escape, a place for my thoughts,

The music player while I am in the shower.

 

My laptop, once cold and naïve

Now holds me in a nutshell

What once was a display in a Costco

Now has a home in my life.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your ode and all the comparisons that you made. I really liked the line "definetly a woman due to her brilliance." The ode made it seem if the laptop was way more than just an ordinarly computer that we all have and use. Great Ode!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are giving the laptop credit for attaining your dream! That IS love! My favorite line is the line in which you describe the feel as similar to cement.

    ReplyDelete